Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I Won't Die

*** Sharing this again since I recorded a quicky demo of it this after. It's a first take, so don't ask me where the missing fourth verse is! ***



I could be killed out on the road tonight
or end my life in a drunken fist fight
or be gored in the running of the bulls
or even torn apart by rav’nous wolves.
But none of that will ever mean a thing
if I can’t learn to love you once again.
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to live –
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to love.

I could meet death blasted by a grenade
or I could swallow poisoned lemonade
or be bisected by an anxious train
or crushed beneath the weight of heartbreak pain.
But what would be the use in such a death
without your lips to draw my final breath?
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to live –
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to love.

I could fall victim to a police truncheon
or suffer a stroke at some genteel luncheon
or be permafrosted on subarctic tundra
or silverbacks could tear my limbs asunder.
But all my blood and sweat will just be wasted
if the lips I’ve long for I’ve not once more tasted.
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to live –
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to love.

I could be stewed by hungry cannibals
or struck upon Achille’s heel so fallible
or be dashed on the rocks while river rafting
or have a scissor accident while crafting
I’d gladly suffer any sort of harm
for one last moment with you in my arms.
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to live –
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to love.

I could be tasted by a great white shark
or robbed and cudgeled in a darkened park
or pulverized by a jilted jackhammer
or crucified for errors in my grammar.
Though none of these would ever aggrieve me
I’d be bereaved if you would not receive me.
But I won’t die before I’ve learned to live –
No I won’t die before I’ve learned to love.