Sunday, July 27, 2014

"My Brother's Back!" (Verse)

My brother, my hero!
Carved of 24 karat gold,
had been living in Tennessee.
working as an electrician.
He was strong and independent -
black haired, black eyed,
wild, a black wolf,
and the girls fell at his feet.
I missed him so -
But now he’s back!
Yes, now he’s back.
My brother has come home
and he won’t hit me anymore.

My brother never did well in school
but that’s because he was bored. 
He was smarter than his teachers
his mind as quick as that 
black 240Z he’d crashed before he left.
Now he’s in a white ‘65 Corvair ragtop
and taking me for milkshakes, 
bought me an RC Countach for my birthday
I missed him so -
But now he’s back!
Yes, now he’s back.
My brother has come home
and he won’t hit me anymore.

My brother really does love me
in spite of all those years
calling me a sissy and a nerd and a fag.
He was only kidding
when he said all that,
or he was trying to toughen me up.
He stood up for me when the bigger boys
tore the story I wrote 
for 6th grade English to shreds.
He was my hero, my champion!
I missed him so -
But now he’s back!
Yes, now he’s back.
My brother has come home
and he won’t hit me anymore.

My brother is gonna teach me 
everything he knows about cars and girls.
He’s almost 19 and he’s amazing!
His apartment has no furniture -
just a lot of empty Smirnov bottles
used for ashtrays.
To hell with what Mom and Dad say -
He’s living his own way.
I missed him so -
But now he’s back!
Yes, now he’s back.
My brother has come home
and he won’t hit me anymore.