Monday, August 26, 2013

Playlist Week of August 26, 2013

This week I've had a real hankering for some homegrown music. I'd love to hear every lick by every singer, songwriter, producer, instrumentalist or band - regardless of genre or skill level - from the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson/Clemson area and talk to everyone about their musics and motivations and inspirations.

That's time consuming, so I'll just start by listening to some folks I already know or are friends of friends, folks like Weapon Y/Z, Satan in Bondage, rubrics and The Soap. Email me more suggestions! I'm searching and downloading every day, building up my library of local music.

Meanwhile, perennial favorites Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie are, as usual, well represented, along with Downtown guitar slayer Glenn Branca, Woody-interpreters Billy Bragg & Wilco and North Carolina banjo and guit-picker Elizabeth Cotten.

Top Artists

1. Pete Seeger
2. Satan in Bondage
3. Billy Bragg & Wilco/Rubrics
5. Glenn Branca/Me Fail English? That's Unpossible
7. The Soap
8. Weapon Y/Z
9. Woody Guthrie
10. Elizabeth Cotton