Sunday, February 17, 2013

Credentials

I read a lot of books and articles, critiques of society and alternatives, activist and radical literature. As a writer, sometimes I'm intimidated by the level of scholarship I'm met with.

Anybody with even a perfunctory knowledge of the goings on of today's world knows that as a species humanity faces a number of challenges to its survival. Given the urgency of the situation and the necessity of immediate action, the idea that academic credentials or the lack of them should hold anyone back from participating is laughable, so the intimidation factor goes out the window.

Instead what we have to do is take a good look at ourselves and see what we have to offer. I may not be an expert in foreign policy or economics, but I'm a fairly decent writer and I can use that to transfer whatever I learn to others who have even less information than me.  If my writing proved to be useless, I could always just carry sandbags or dig trenches.

But if the goal is to raise consciousness, both in oneself and others, then writing and all forms of art and communication become absolutely essential. It doesn't matter if I don't have a PhD in anything; I can hyperlink to someone who does.