Saturday, December 29, 2012

This Land


You could easily write 100 more verses to Woody Guthrie's most famous tune, if you want to spend the time on it. Here are six that I came up with, including a variation on the refrain:

This land was their land,
Now this land is our land.
From California to the New York Island
From Guatemala to Argentina
This land was made for you and me.

We set sail from Spain
Due east for India.
We found a new world
Lovely and splendid.
We came looking for gold
Found untold riches.
This land was made for you and me.

The generous natives
We killed and cheated.
They left their farms
And their homes defeated.
We burned their crops and
Brought them diseases.
This land was made for you and me.

We kept black people
Chained for two centuries.
Indentured servants
Populated our colonies.
We pushed out westward
Called it “Manifest Destiny.”
This land was made for you and me.

The south had plantations
With slaves for farming.
The north built factories
For endless industry.
The cannon’s thunder
Tore us asunder.
This land was made for you and me.

We’ve kept on fighting
In hopes of righting
All the world’s problems
And evil notions.
From the melting ice caps
To the rising oceans
This land was made for you and me.