Thursday, September 20, 2012

An Amendment

Yesterday I got a really favorable response to my post "Wages." I thank you all for your warm words and sympathy. However, as I thought about some of the statements I made in the post, I realized that my phrasing was a little off. In particular, this passage:

"Baby boomers who didn't go to college could go to work at manufacturing jobs right after high school, get married, have kids, own cars and houses and earn high enough wages to take vacations and pursue their interests."

I should have said "white male baby boomers." This is important. Acknowledgement and thanks must be paid to those who have worked and fought so hard - and continue to do so - for civil rights and gender equality. Although nobody complained about my oversight, I nevertheless feel that it's necessary to pay all due respect and apologize for this error.